Friday, September 03, 2010

Munich Day Three (ish) and Nuremberg (also ish)

We got up early and stuck our luggage in the storage room, before taking the underground to der Olympiapark, where they held the 1972 olympics. The BMW plant is right beside it, and we went inside and took a tour of the plant. It was sooo awesome, and I really want a BMW now! You have a 1.5% chance of getting the same exact car as someone else, so basically you get a BMW that no one else in the world has. Awesome.

After that, we went up the big tower in the Park, and I took lots of cool city-scape pictures. We trekked back to Munchen center on the subway (European trains are awesome, btw). Dominque, Forrest, and I went back to der Viktualienmarkt wieder, and to the same bakery too, and I got ein kase-bretzel und ein schokolade-creme croissant for about 3 euros. (That's a cheese-covered pretezel and a chocolate-creme croissant for you non-German types.) Nom nom nom! Forrest then wished to visit the big Football Stadium for the Munich team, and so we took the subway all the way out to the stadium. We had some issues coming back (namely, we didn't plan enough time for the return trip, and we came out the wrong side of the Hauptbahnhoff, and we panicked) and were about 15 minutes late for the bus. :( I hate to be late. I was so tired, too, since we basically ran up all the stairs and across streets and down sidewalks and everything-- basically, we ran.

In any case, once on the road to Nuremberg, Phoebe called us up to recieve our rooming assignments. Allie, Forrest, and I got dorm rooms, and I'm very excited. For the first week we'll have to stay in single rooms because the dorms are being renovated, which suits me fine because it'll give me some time to get used to Salzburg and also get more German under my belt, so in case my roommate doesn't speak much English I won't be completely lost. So. Sehr gut fur mich.

Once in Nurembeg, we checked into our hostel (which is a little sketchier than the Wombat, but the internet is suuuuuper fast, so it evens out) and then hit the streets. I thought we'd go out together, but it ended up that just Julia and Sara and I went out for dinner. We wandered around for a bit, me trying stupidly to figure out the map the front desk had given us, before we ended up at a Mexican place. It was fantastic, believe it or not. The prices were a little expensive, but it was totally worth it since everything tasted very good and the portions were huuuuge. The restaurant was called Sausalitos (do you say it mexicanly? or germanly?) and I totally recommend it. I had the Sonora quesadilla (which is Blattspinat und kase-- spinach and cheese-- I didn't know what blattspinat was) and it came with a salat und Kartoffelecken (salad and potato wedges) and it was excellent.

Our waitress was very nice, too. She came up to our table and started jabbering away in German, and I caught the last word: "minuten." I figured she meant "are you ready to order, or do you need a moment?" so I answered, "um, minuten, bitte," and then she gave a little, "oh" and switched to perfect English. I swear she didn't even have a german accent at all. It was crazy. Another crazy thing that happened was, while we were on the subway earlier, just three of us, this German lady came up to us and started asking where a station was. I said, "Sorry, ich weiss nicht," and gave her my map of the underground. Very funny.

In any case, Julia and Sara and I walked around for about ten minutes after dinner, but we were tired by then, and it was about eight, so we came back to the hostel, and here we are. I need to take a shower, but I'm scared, because boys and girls are supposed to use it? And everyone else is being chicken, but it is not an option for me: I need to take a shower. So I guess I will.

Oh, one more thing: if I get back to Munchen, I want to go to the Biergarten in the middle of the big park by the old palace, the chinese tower one. We meant to go today, but obviously we ran out of time. Ah, well.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to see that you are learning so much German! I would be so scared to order food there because you never can know what you will get. That is a funny name for a Mexican restaurant in germany. The name sounds Italian. So you will have a German roommate and not someone from here?

    Can you please go to all of the places from the Sound of Music and take some pictures? You and your friends can also go frolicking and singing through the Alps wearing matching outfits made from your curtains. HAHA! Seriously though, go find some places from the movie.

    It sounds like you are having such a grand adventure. Can you email me your phone number so I can call you sometime soon? Also, I want to see some pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Have fun, but remember safety first!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great day- but being late -again- that is not like you! Don't worry your German will improve.

    Glad you are having so much fun and eating well.

    Love you,Mom

    ReplyDelete